Today I had the idea to write a blog - maybe it turns out to be interesting to write a kind of a "artist's diary" about my projects I'm currently working on, and how I build up my paintings step by step.
First I covered my whole canvas with a thin layer of burnt sienna (acrylics) to get a nice background tone. Then I added white acrylic color where I want highlights and bright spots to be (the eyes and mouth of the dragon and the brightes parts of the fire). The "underpainting" with acrylics is done and then it's time for the oils :)
For the fire I added very less yellow paint onto the white parts, so the bright light still shimmers through the oil paint. The actual flames I made with my painting knife to get a nice fiery structure.